17. July 2009 06:47
Extra virgin coconut oil.
It’s perfect for cooking any meat or poultry. It's at the foundation of many
traditional recipes and is readily available both on and offline. It's
an exceptional value for the money, and has been proven to elevate metabolism, boost both short and long-term energy, and strengthen the immune system.
- Coconut oil is good fat at it’s best. It’s 92%
saturated fat but not the scary stuff. In it’s pure organic state the
saturated fat in coconut oil is made up of medium-chain-fatty-acids
which are shuttled directly to your liver.
- What happens to this fat in your liver? It becomes an instant source of increased energy and quick and lasting metabolism boost.
- It is also great for those who can’t tolerate other fats and you can
even lose weight on it as it is easily digested and increases the
metabolism, giving more energy. It also lowers cholesterol and stabilizes blood sugar.
- Coconut oil contains lauric acid (one of the major components of
breast milk), so it is wonderful for boosting the immune system. It also
improves thyroid function.
- Due to it’s anti-inflammatory properties coconut oil will help protect you against common flu’s and colds and may even assist in fighting more serious ailments. It is also anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal.
- Coconut oil is fantastic for your skin when you
eat it but it also works straight out of the bottle. It can be used as a hair repair treatment by leaving some in the ends
of dry hair. It absorbs quickly and doesn’t leave a greasy feel so it's a great skin moisturizer and conditioner.
- Coconut oil is one of the most stable oils you can cook with and it won’t go rancid even at extremely high temperatures.
- Adding a teaspoon of coconut oil to each meal can help you stay fuller for longer and avoid sweet cravings later on.
- The energy and metabolism boost you’ll get from coconut oil is one of the simplest and inexpensive ways to naturally improve your performance both at work and play - and has even been shown to lift a lagging libido!
- Eating good fats such as coconut oil is a sure way to encourage a healthy hormonal system, to increase your capacity to manage and over come stress, to efficiently digest and utilize food, and to get off the sugar-rollercoaster that comes about with every too-low-fat-diet.
If you can't wait to pick some up right away you can purchase extra virgin
coconut oil from any organic store and even from most health foods
stores. Be sure it's made from fresh coconuts, not from old Copra ( the dried meat of the coconut from which oil is extracted). It’s around $7 for a jar. You can buy it refined (no flavor) or
unrefined (coconut flavour, strange huh?!) These are a great start but
some people have found online versions to be better quality
and clarity. Try Tropical Traditions for a start or visit Niulife.